Sunday, December 24, 2006

jahresuberblick im gluck (1)

As we’re moving very, very close to the end of the year, it’s hard to avoid all the round-ups and lists of best albums of 2006. One of my favorite records has definitely been James Holden’s The idiots are winning. It’s dance music for the head; a very exciting album full of dark twitching noises. Holden pushes boundaries, but in some strange way The idiots… remains warm and melodic. Than, of course, there is The Eraser by Thom Yorke. I know my Spider James associates Ted and Willem share my love for this album. Thom’s voice sounds great, lyrically the man is in great form and the songs are simply marvelous. Same goes for Grizzly Bear and their wonderful Yellow House; again a Willem-van-Veldhoven-favorite. To me Yellow House stands out ‘cause it makes very traditional music sound different from anything you’ve ever heard. Now that’s an accomplishment.

No comments: