Tuesday, January 9, 2007

sheer beauty

It's always nice to look back at your favorite albums of the year - we all like charts and lists, don't we. As Patrick already mentioned: The Roots, Phoenix, Beck, Thom Yorke and TV on the Radio are some of my 2006 favorites. I would like to add the albums of Midlake (the melancholic Trials of Van Occupanther), Los Lobos (as good as ever on The Town and the City), Boards of Canada's subtle Trans Canada Highway and the re-issue of Eno and Byrne's 1980 masterpiece My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.
The artist whose work really hit me this year was the Duth jazz bass player Eric van der Westen. His albums - Naala and Rush Hour - are wonderful. Both albums aren't new releases (they're respectively from 1999 and 2001), but I discovered them only last summer. Sheer beauty...

No comments: