Tuesday, January 30, 2007

in between versions

Last Saturday I admitted to feeling a little confused about 'All in between'. I feared the supposed-to-be-Afrobeat groove of the song would make us sound like a Salsa band. Well, I think it does. Listening back to last Saturdays rehearsal room recording I hear a stiff and sloppy, third rate Salsa band on drugs. Believe me, that sounds a lot more interesting than it is. I can come to only one conclusion: 'All in between', at this point, is a mess.
We've now got about twelve or thirteen recorded versions of the song. The cresendo (more and more and more) approach of the final version actually works. Bits and pieces of various recordings are great. We'll have to find a way to make these parts a whole. Combining the right drum with the right guitars, the best bass line with the best keyboard parts... No one ever said it was gonna be easy.
There's an early version of 'All in between' on MySpace.

No comments: